All UK employers are legally obliged to automatically enrol all eligible workers into a qualifying pension scheme by a specific deadline (‘Duties start date’). This is one of the most onerous challenges to face businesses in recent years and the financial penalties for breach can be severe. Contact
For this purpose, workers have been arranged into three categories: Eligible Jobholder, Non-Eligible Jobholders and Entitled Workers.
Whilst only Eligible Jobholders are required to be automatically enrolled, Non-Eligible Jobholders have a right to opt-in to an automatic enrolment pension scheme and Entitled Workers have a right to join any pension scheme.
- You must by law create and maintain detailed records of correspondence with workers, workforce assessments, joiners and leavers and pension payments.
- You will have a duty to assess (and continually reassess) your workforce to be able to identify which of your employees will be eligible to be automatically enrolled.
- It is your responsibility as an employer to ensure that you communicate with each individual worker to ensure they are aware of their rights.
- It is also necessary for you to set up a qualifying pension scheme. This involves working with an Independent Financial Adviser to review any existing pension arrangements or to design a new scheme that will suit the automatic enrolment criteria.
- Once set up, you will be responsible for ensuring that both employee and employer contributions are paid into the scheme at the correct amount and the payroll accurately reflects these contributions.
- Throughout each stage of the automatic enrolment cycle, you must create and maintain detailed records. These records must be available for review by The Pensions Regulator whenever requested.
Your employees must be made aware of their rights and you should be aware of your duties and be ready to act on them to avoid a breach of the rules and imposition of financial penalties.
Our Premium Auto Enrolment Services
We take care of your Auto Enrolment compliance by making sure you register correctly and we also send all the necessary letters and reminders to your employees.
We can even set up your pension scheme for you.
Just let us know if you need our Payroll team to help you.
As with payroll, we are happy to provide you with a FIXED FEE quote based for assisting you with your payroll and auto-enrolment duties.